Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

I am a new member!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jumpingmouse96
Mustard Seed
Mustard Seed
jumpingmouse96

I am a new member!  Empty
PostSubject: I am a new member!    I am a new member!  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Rosie and I live on the Northeast side of Houston ( Colonial Hills ).

I am new to this forum and am still trying to figure it out.

I am an avid organic gardener.

I currently have growing in my garden;

Tomatoes, Tomatillo, Dill, Lemon Grass, Butternut Squash, Acorn Squash, Pinto Beans, Great Northern White Beans, Black Beans, Red Beans, Watermelon, Honeydew Melon, Canteloupe, Cilantro, Papaya and Nopales.

I look forward to communicating and sharing my bounty!

Peace

Rosie
Back to top Go down
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

I am a new member!  Empty
PostSubject: Welcome new member!    I am a new member!  EmptyFri May 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Welcome Rosie!

A very interesting list of plants! I have never grown Pinto Beans, Great Northern White Beans, Black Beans, or Red Beans. Any tips or varieties you especially like? Or perhaps you grew them from grocery store purchases? Either way I'd be interested to know.

Any tips on growing the melons? When to plant, harvest, varieties? I have not been very succesful with them. Especially with the ripening part. Seems if I let the cantalopes ripen too long on the vine the squirrels get them. If you pick them before they are ripe, I guess they might ripen on the counter?

Post any information you'd like to share in the Organic Vegetable, Herb, and Fruit Gardening section of the forum.

Also if you'd like to post your favorite ways to cook nopales (or any other garden veggies) in the Recipe section I'd be interested. A friend gave me a plant last fall so I expect I will have some new pads to cook soon. I've never cooked with them before.

Looking forward to your insights!

flower
Back to top Go down

I am a new member!
Page 1 of 1