Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

New gardening friends + open mind = better gardening and enriched lives for all

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

New gardening friends + open mind = better gardening and enriched lives for all Empty
PostSubject: New gardening friends + open mind = better gardening and enriched lives for all   New gardening friends + open mind = better gardening and enriched lives for all EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm

I have made some new friends who grew up on farms. Here are just a few things I have learned from them.

Coffee, you can grow it next door in LA, so also presumably here.

Summer onion greens. When I saw one of my friends planting the top part of the large bulb onions that most people throw away, I at first thought "Oh, mistake, that will never make an onion." Closed minded statement! She was growing it for the greens that soon sprouted. So I tried it, and now, while my multiplying green onions are dormant, I still have onion greens. I will be planting more, as I use onions, for a steady supply through the summer. And because onions have so much water in their flesh, it is relatively easy to get them to root!

Potatoes. Don't pull up the plant when you harvest, unless it is dead. Just reach under and pull out what you want.

Eating raw okra and raw sweet potatoes. Raw okra is delicious, and for those concerned, not slimey! Sweet potatoes also are good.

And of course they have also been introduced to some new concepts by getting to know me. Win, win! cheers
Back to top Go down
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

New gardening friends + open mind = better gardening and enriched lives for all Empty
PostSubject: correction on planting old onions....   New gardening friends + open mind = better gardening and enriched lives for all EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:11 pm

...plant the BOTTOM of the onion, the part with the roots!
Back to top Go down

New gardening friends + open mind = better gardening and enriched lives for all
Page 1 of 1