Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

Share | 

Food I am harvesting now! September 1, 2011

Go down 
Grape Vine
Grape Vine

PostSubject: Food I am harvesting now! September 1, 2011   Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:34 pm

Record heat, lots of days over 100 degrees, watering restrictions......

These are the plants that are producing food in my garden throughout the drought:

Lambs Quarters (huge bushes, unstoppable, nutritious, and delectable!)
Sweet Potato (Asian and regular)
Lau (bottle gourd greens, perhaps my favorite summer greens)
Egyptian Spinach (ditto notes on Lambs Quarters)
Cholesterol Spinach (the plants in the shade)
Wild Arugula
Climbing Spinach

Winter Squashes (they don't give up! "winter"?)
Lau (young edible gourds)
Bitter Melon/Gourd
Hot Peppers
Jerusalem Artichokes (not quite ready to harvest yet, but loving the heat and beautiful flowers!)
Should check on the progress of the sweet potatoes....
Sugar Cane

Basil (Italian and esp Thai)
Mexican Mint Marigold (Tarragon equivalent)
Bay Leaves
Thai Ginger
Lemon Grass
Kaffir Lime
Curry Leaves

Tomatoes, sweet peppers, eggplants, and flat beans (Lablab) have paused their production but seem ready to pick back up with a break in the heat. Papaya trees started this spring have some fruit already, though not ripe yet.

Lots of flowers and now swarms of humming birds thanks to all the tough Texas native plants and a few hardy non-native habitat plants!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Food I am harvesting now! September 1, 2011
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners :: Gardening and Recipes :: Organic Vegetable, Herb, and Fruit Gardening-
Jump to: