Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

Share | 

Turks Cap and Humming Birds and Free Fruit!

Go down 
Grape Vine
Grape Vine

PostSubject: Turks Cap and Humming Birds and Free Fruit!   Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:08 pm

The humming birds have been swarming in my garden for the past month(?) and they especially love the native Texas Turks cap. Their busy nectar sipping activity has literally started to bear fruit: Turks cap berries. The plants have thrived and flowered even during this drought and, also (I suspect) because of the drought, the berries are especially sweet this year.

Planting the right plants for the hummers is easier for humans and healthier for the hummers than putting out artificial sugar feeders.
...and did I mention the low maintenance, sweet, crunchy berries you get as a bonus?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Turks Cap and Humming Birds and Free Fruit!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners :: Gardening and Recipes :: Native Texas Plants in Your Food Garden-
Jump to: