Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

Share | 

Places to donate extra vegetable garden produce. Let's make a list!

Go down 
Grape Vine
Grape Vine

PostSubject: Places to donate extra vegetable garden produce. Let's make a list!   Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:09 pm

One of the truths of home organic vegetable gardening is that most of what you grow, grows REALLY well!
Eating as much as you can, you are still faced with organic produce you can't use.

Instead of letting the bugs get it, consider harvesting it and donating it to a place that distributes it to people who are stuggling to make ends meet. For too long I felt bad seeing my extra vegetables, greens, herbs, and fruits go to waste (even after giving away to friends and strangers!) wishing I knew where to donate. Just wishing is even more wasteful than letting the bugs have it!

Last year, after making another lame wish/complaint to a new aquaintence, they broke my bubble and told me about a place to donate less than 10 minutes from my house! Since then I have heard through other aquaintences that there are many places all over town.
There is probably some place to donate within 15 minutes of every home garden in Houston!

So the first time I went without produce, to check on the times it was open. Then I brought extra greens and herbs I had in my garden. It was easy and quick to do. I was worried that if I didn't have VEGETABLES (beans, squash, peppers, etc) it might not be useful, that was certainly wrong thinking on my part! What I didn't connect was that many folks don't have access to ANY fresh food. My gifts were greatly welcomed, and greens and fresh herbs are some of the most nutritious foods you can eat!

As much as they appreciated what I gave, I know I am getting even more. Sharing good food with others, our families, friends, or strangers, is at the core of our own well-being. It is one of the truest and most rewarding expressions of being fully human!

Help me make a public list of as many donation locations as possible! Please post replies to this post and give the name of the place, location, and phone number, etc. I will verify the groups existance and check to make sure they want garden produce donations. As I get and verify, I will add them to a list. I will keep an updated list posted on this forum and as a PDF on the site: Biodiverse for Life

Once it is made, feel free to copy and post the list on your own site or email it to friends!

I bring produce to the Manna House in the Third Ward across from TSU at
3118 Blodgett Street, Houston, TX 77004-5365
(713) 529-3381, 9am to 1pm Thursdays and Fridays. Less than 10 minutes from the medical center!

You can also search the internet for 'food pantries houston'.
Call and check that they take fresh produce before going!

We can grow an amazing amount of food, year-round in Houston.
There is no reason anyone should go without fresh produce!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Places to donate extra vegetable garden produce. Let's make a list!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners :: Gardening and Recipes :: Organic Vegetable, Herb, and Fruit Gardening-
Jump to: