Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

Share | 

2010 Prairie Festival at the Land Institute and the new whole grain Kernza

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine

PostSubject: 2010 Prairie Festival at the Land Institute and the new whole grain Kernza    Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:19 pm

My husband attended the 2010 Prairie Festival at the Land Institute this past September and brought back some flour of the new grain they have developed, Kernza. I made some pancakes with it, using the recipe they suggested. We all loved the flavor and texture! They were also great reheated with a little honey (either kind Basketball ). I tried using the same recipe with half whole wheat and half barley, but the Kernza ones were much better! Although Kernza doesnt have as much gluten as wheat flour ( so not so good for bread), it exceeds or meets wheat flout nutrition in almost every other category! I don't know if you can order it over the phone yet, but I definitely plan to try...

The Land Institute

Kernza is one of the perennial grains being developed by The Land Institute. Perennial grains (with longer root systems and generally tougher plant physiology) would be less enviromentally damaging and more useful in marginal situations.

Page 12, Attachement II contains a list of the plants being developed for perennial grain production:
50 year plan / perennial grains research

Kernza Article
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine

PostSubject: Article on Kernza: 20% Protein!   Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Here is a great article describing the origins and characteristics of Kernza....

Kernza Info
Back to top Go down
View user profile

2010 Prairie Festival at the Land Institute and the new whole grain Kernza
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners :: Opinions :: Food Related Issues-
Jump to: