Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
laurel
Mustard Seed
Mustard Seed

Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd) Empty
PostSubject: greetings, Chris!   Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm so happy to see this web forum for asking questions. Thanks for doing this. I'll try to post your web address in my next enewsletter.
I got a question from Sirkala (?? can't remember the name) asking about cucuzzi squash aka opo squash and where she can obtain seeds. Isn't this always the problem.. where to get seeds or starts? Do you have any idea? I'd love to start a HUG seed club!!
Hmm, I can't seem to get the emoticons to insert into my text. geek
Gratefully,
Laurel
Back to top Go down
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

PostSubject: Re: Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd)   Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Laurel,

Thanks for the question gives me a chance to learn something new also! If anyone sees any errors here, please correct me.

Cucuzza or Opo 'squash' is really a type of edible bottle gourd (Lagenaria siceraria). Some references suggest it, or bottle gourds in general, might have originated in Africa, but it seems to remain unclear. The Cucuzza is a variety developed and widely grown in Italy. I found a site that sells seeds, a farm dedicated to growing Cucuzza in Ruston, LA. I have never ordered from them.

cucuzza farm

There are a lot of varieties of edible bottle gourd grown in many different parts of the world. I grow a variety called Lau, that a friend from Bangladesh gave me. Like cucuzza, it also produces a pale green gourd with white flesh that can be eaten as a vegetable. In addition, the leaves and growing tips of the stems make incredibly delicious greens! It also loves the summer heat! Here are some posts about it:

lau, bottle gourd

Lau and shrimp curry

I save Lau seeds from a mature gourd for the next season.

Chris.
Back to top Go down
Sri
Mustard Seed
Mustard Seed

PostSubject: Re: Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd)   Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd) EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 10:50 am

Wow.. thats a ton of information on opo squash.. Appreciate it!! I will get the seeds and plant them in my garden. This is my first time vegetable gardening.. wish me luck Very Happy Will keep you posted on my progess.. Thanks again folks!! Have a great summer flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd)   Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd) Empty

Back to top Go down

Cucuzza and opo squash (bottle gourd)
Page 1 of 1