Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

Questions about raising chickens in Houston.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

Questions about raising chickens in Houston. Empty
PostSubject: Questions about raising chickens in Houston.   Questions about raising chickens in Houston. EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Does anyone know the rules about raising chickens in Houston? Have any experience raising chickens in Houston?

I know roosters are not a good idea.

Do the chickens have to stay cooped up? Can they roam around in a fenced yard and only be cooped up at night?
If they roam in the yard, do they lay eggs wherever, or do they tend to lay them in the coop?

I would like to have a few chickens for the eggs and to help with the pests in my vegetable garden.

Thanks,
Chris.
Back to top Go down
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

PostSubject: web site on backyard chicken raising   Questions about raising chickens in Houston. EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:40 pm

here is a site on backyard chicken raising.

backyardchickens.com

Doesnt look promising at the moment for us urban farmers!

houston chicken rules

Perhaps we can work to get this changed! Perhaps compare ours to a more chicken liberal cities.
Back to top Go down
ted
Bean Sprout
Bean Sprout

PostSubject: Chickens   Questions about raising chickens in Houston. EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks! This was really helpful. I was thinking of raising a few chickens here in Buffalo and wondered what the law was. I typed in Buffalo, hit search and bingo there it was. More cooperative than Houston's, but ten times more words.
Back to top Go down
cholutexas
Mustard Seed
Mustard Seed

PostSubject: Re: Questions about raising chickens in Houston.   Questions about raising chickens in Houston. EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 4:30 pm

I was wondering if anyone has looked into trying to change the Houston chicken laws or change the Houston chicken ordinances. I would like to start a backyard flock but I looked at the links you've posted and it seems that there are very few places in COH where you could legally own chickens according to the Houston city chicken ordinances. I don't want to risk an illegal flock, especially when I see that many other groups in US cities have successfully changed the ordinances to be chicken-friendly.

Is there any movement already happening to try to make it easy for us urban farmers provide a place for our poultry?
Back to top Go down
cholutexas
Mustard Seed
Mustard Seed

PostSubject: Re: Questions about raising chickens in Houston.   Questions about raising chickens in Houston. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:12 pm

So an update to the "Hens for Houston" movement to update the city ordinance:

We now are working on a website, http://www.hensforhouston.wordpress.com
Currently it is very much under construction, but there is information about our meetings, progress, proposed ordinance, as well as general information about why anyone would want a chicken. (Because they're adorable, obviously!)

Also, there will be a meeting at Rice University at 5:45 pm on Thursday Jan. 25 in which we will be presenting to Rice Environmental Club in order to get their support for the movement!

Thanks HSFG for helping us spread the word!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about raising chickens in Houston.   Questions about raising chickens in Houston. Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions about raising chickens in Houston.
Page 1 of 1