Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

Update on two bin no turn composting method.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

Update on two bin no turn composting method. Empty
PostSubject: Update on two bin no turn composting method.   Update on two bin no turn composting method. EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 4:08 pm

I have been using two standard metal trash cans with lids for composting kitchen scraps for about two years now. For one can, my daughter drilled some holes in the bottom and some on the sides (with protective eye wear! albino ). For the other one I just used a very large nail and hammer to poke holes in the bottom of the can and very few on the sides. Watch out for jagged inner surfaces! I place the cans on the dirt, alternating layers of kitchen scraps and dry materials (leaves, weeds, or hardwood mulch) and follow the method described:

Two Bin No Turn Composting

This has worked great! My biggest worry was that I had seen a description on the internet of someone else who had tried using metal trash cans, and complained that they just got a slimy mess. This has not been a problem for me. About half way through filling up the second bin, I remove the lid from the first, already filled bin, to let it air out a bit until the second bin is full, and I want to dump the first one.

Occasionally, the dumped contents have been too damp. Simple solution: let it sit and dry for a few days or until you need it, but don't let it dry completely. Even so, it never smells bad, indicating it is ready to use even though it is still 'chunky'.

Keeping two bricks on the snug metal lid definitely repels any mammalian intruders. I can even compost meat and bones now!

Back to top Go down
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

Update on two bin no turn composting method. Empty
PostSubject: Pictures to go with the two bin composting post   Update on two bin no turn composting method. EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 3:05 pm

Here are some pictures to go with the previous post.

Here is a finished bin, ready to be dumped. Showing that the contents are great to use immediatley, something has already started growing from something relatively recently added to the bin (cucumber, melon, squash?). Whatever it is does look happy! I guess I should delay dumping it for a while!

The stick is in the bin to let lizards that fall in have a way to get out.

[url=Update on two bin no turn composting method. Binone10]Finished bin with plants[/url]

Here are the finished results of the previous bin. The soft kitchen scraps are very composted and not discernable in this picture. The leaves, although still retaining much of their form are very fragile. The pile has been partially spread around some young brocolli plants (and elswhere in the garden). In the lower left hand corner the remainder of the pile can be seen.

Update on two bin no turn composting method. Binone11

For more pictures of the metal trash can bins and finished compost see a Powerpoint presentation at:
Simple Food Gardening

You can use this compost everywhere in your garden! We can all easily prevent any kitchen food wast from going to a landfill!
Back to top Go down

Update on two bin no turn composting method.
Page 1 of 1