Houston Sustainable Food Gardeners

A forum dedicated to discussing how to easily grow organic food sustainably and inexpensively year-round in urban Houston settings, in individual and community vegetable gardens. Other food related issues are also discussed.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Links  Help  

Food I'm harvesting now in Houston on April 6, 2011

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

Food I'm harvesting now in Houston on April 6, 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Food I'm harvesting now in Houston on April 6, 2011   Food I'm harvesting now in Houston on April 6, 2011 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:08 pm

I love the panoply of seasonal eating from the garden.

I am currently harvesting:

Italian cylindra beets (the sweetest! I get seeds from 'Grow Italian' and plant them in the fall)

Japanese radish seed pods. (picked when young they taste like radishes raw, or you can stirfry them for a milder flavor. Seeds from 'Kitizawa Seeds' planted in the fall, variety Hattorikun, grown for the greens, then after the plans mature some can be picked for the long white tender radish, leaving some to blossom in the spring, beautiful pink and white flowers, the sweet and radishy tasting flower clusters can be strewn in salads, and the young seed pods can be harvested for a veggie or pickling. Strongly recommend growing!)

Young lamb's quarter plants ( they are comming up in clusters from the fallen seeds from last years plants, Easy to pull up hanfulls, twist off the roots and sautee, also can be used in a salad, super nutritious and a delectible cooked green, I am topping off some of the seedlings to let them grow to large bush size for a constant supply all summer)

Carrots, Parsnips, Lettuces, Sugarsnap Peas, Swiss Chard (all seeded last fall)
Bulb Fennel (from a perennial clump)

Broccoli (small side heads, they just keep comimg!)

Multiplying and bulb onions

Arugula (Wild and regular, flowers and greens)

Pinapple Guava flower petals (like candy!)

Wild Blackberries

Herbs and seasonings: Oregano, Marjoram, bay leaves, curry leaf, Mexican mint marigold, parsley, cilantro, sage, basil, Kaffir lime leaves, rosemary, mints, thyme, catnip (great tea!), lemon balm, tumeric, lemon grass, hibiscus

Climbing spinach (lots of easy to harvest youngsters from last year's seeds, a few I will let grow to vine)

Lau bottle gourd vine greens (also self seeded)

Perennial sweet potato vine and cholesterol spinach are back (for greens)

Young fig leaves (for greens)

Back to top Go down
dragonfly
Grape Vine
Grape Vine
dragonfly

Food I'm harvesting now in Houston on April 6, 2011 Empty
PostSubject: And Jerusalem Artichokes!   Food I'm harvesting now in Houston on April 6, 2011 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 6:04 pm

I keep finding new stockpiles stored in the ground over winter!
Back to top Go down

Food I'm harvesting now in Houston on April 6, 2011
Page 1 of 1